Matzo Charlotte from Libby’s Kitchen
Posted by Marilla on Mar 8, 2011 in Passover Rescue
Who knew matzo could taste this good?
This Matzo Charlotte will have everyone clamoring for more!
This recipe was came from our dear friend Libby, ala-ha-sholem, who got it from a friend of hers over fifty years ago.
3 large eggs, separated
1/2 cup sugar or more (to taste)
1/2 cup raisins
1 tsp kosher for pesach vanilla
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp grated zest
1/4 tsp salt
1 can Comstock apples or 3 large fresh apples - peeled, cored and sliced thin.
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup finely chopped nuts
1 tbsp butter
Mix all together and sprinkle on top of the apple mixture.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit. Beat the egg whites until stiff and set them aside. Break the matzos into pieces and soak them in hot water for a few minutes. Drain. Add the sugar, egg yolks, raisins, vanilla, lemon and salt. Mix well. Add the apples, folding them in so as not to break the slices. Fold in the beaten egg whites. Pour the mixture into a greased casserole dish. Sprinkle with the topping. Bake for 1 hour.
This dessert may be served warm with whipped cream (for a dairy meal).
Mrs Wex says:
Libby told me that this recipe came from Esther Autenreith, a wonderful practical nurse and fabulous cook, who took care of her for a week after the birth of each of her three children. She watched and learned as Esther worked her magic in Libby's kitchen. This is one of the desserts she made and Libby loved for 50 years.
- Noralene’s Raw Apple Cake from Libby’s Kitchen A wonderful apple cake recipe for Passover from our dear...
- Martha’s Sponge Cake from Libby’s Kitchen A fabulous sponge cake recipe for passover from the childhood...
- Emily and Sybil’s Matzo Crunch Two great friends of ours, Emily Sokolov and Sybil Goldstein,...
- Chocolate Chip Cookies from Chava’s Kitchen The best kosher for Pesach chocolate chip cookies you can...
- Libby’s Passover Popovers A Passover treat for those sick of trying to make...
~ This post copied/pasted from the Michael Wex website ~
Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y