Short After-Shabbat ShmoozeOverheard In New York
Young man: I think you should have put LIFE and not LIVE on your sign.
Jesus freak, holding sign reading
THROUGH JESUS WILL YOU FIND ETERNAL LIVE:
Oh, thank you. Have you accepted Jesus as your savior?
Young man: No, I'm a dirty Jew. I'm going to hell.
OVERHEARD AT --42nd & 7th
Older woman: Excuse me, miss?
Younger woman: Yeah?
Older woman: Your veil, your burqa is very beautiful. I didn't know your people were allowed to wear it in bright colors.
Younger woman: It's not a burqa, it's a poncho. I'm Jewish. It's for the rain. I got it at TJ Maxx.
--53rd & 7th
Overheard by: Pam
From "Headline Contest" on Overheard In New York City
Teen boy: Do you know where I can find those Communion wafers? I want to eat them with salsa.
Friend: Um, you can't just eat those. It's the body of Christ.
OVERHEARD AT --Rockefeller Center
The Winner Headline: "White Folks Still Claim Jesus Was A Cracker"
· "Besides, Three Days Later You'll Be Hungry Again"
· "...And After Three days, He Arose, with Craving for Pico de Gallo"
· "...And They're 2000 Years Past Their Expiration Date"
· "And Stop Putting Salt on the Rim of the Chalice"
· "Betcha Can't Transubstantiate Just One"
· "Body of Satan Has More Tang Anyway"
· "Friends Don't Let Friends Go to Church Stoned"
· "If Jesus Wanted Us to Eat Him with Salsa, He'd Be Appearing on Tortillas... Oh... Wait."
· "Look for the Bag Marked 'Corpus Crispy'"
· "My God Stays Crunchy in Milk"
· "That's What You Said about the Last Donut, Too"
· "The Next Special Ingredient on Iron Chef"
· "They're Best Served with Dogma"
· "Try the Taco Bells of St. Mary's"